Wednesday 7 November 2007

Week 4 assignment




Now that the gaming market has grown larger in comparison to 20 years ago, I can understand how companies have become increasingly competitive within this market. It seems to me that businesses like Sony and Microsoft are attempting to monopolise this market, by claiming their consoles the xbox360 and PS3 are the most technologically advanced. However I have seen various different games that can be played on these consoles, which show to me that they aren't as graphically magnificant as they make it out to be, though they are still better than its predecessors. I believe that it is these consoles high definition capabilities that makes them so formidable in this market.

Back home in sunny Wickford my family owns a HD television and I have been amazed by many programs that I've watched in HD, because of the amount of detail HD picks up especially in distant lanscape environments. It was through these means that I encouraged a friend to acquire and play their console the xbox360 through a HD TV. I found that the quality of the game was greatly increased making the gameplay more enjoyable. I would also like to add that whenever you have been looking around in say shopping centres have you noticed that when there are promotioning these consoles that the display units always have HD TV sets, which just goes to show that these consoles need HD to get the best gaming experience.

The idea that publishers pressurise developers to produce sequals and movie games is terrible but true. i hate it especially when developers have to rush games just so that they can release the game in time with the movie. Then with sequals you always find that the games are far too similar to its previous title with some extra items or abilities to still keep you interested. It is rare to find a game of a film or sequal that lives up to its title. This then means there are less original games that can be developed, which could potentially push gaming into a different direction.

However there really have been some great developments in the gaming industry. like for instance I'm really anticipating the euphoria game engine as this means that the gaming world is becoming more like reality as the program actually simulates the properties of the world. so that wood when breaks spliters like wood or if a NPC falls off a building they will cling onto an edge. I think that this engine is a great idea and shall be looking forward to the new GTA and Star wars game.

As i really enjoy my pc games i must say that i notice developments further in on this platform rather than on consoles. So for this platform i really have noticed the difference in game graphics. I really remember how great the new doom game look graphically in comparison to half life. Another game i think looks great is FEAR along with it's bullet time system, in which you could use justto see how great the models and environment looks.

Eventually though i believe that the limit of gaming shall be when you can enter a game and become so immersed in it, that you believe whats happening around you is real. I suppose that I think gaming will evetually head towards something like the matrix (but without machines attempting to exterminate the human race), where you could interact with others within this computerised world.

No comments: