Tuesday 30 October 2007

Week 2 assignment

The birth of graphical gaming is a subject that I haven't truely thought about in the past, though i do remember when i was younger seeing the old atari 2600 consoles as I have an uncle that has one to this day. But because the visual graphics for console in comparison to the current consoles of that time could not compete i didn't appreciate the origin of games as I would do now.

what interests me about early computer games is how they were designed by people that possessed degrees or worked in laboratories and saw the potential of the gaming experience. As this form of entertainment interaction was a niche market, though there was plenty of other interactive entertainment like pinball, this sector of the market was unexplored. Also the designer of one of the first games A.S.Douglas acquired a degree in human computer interaction, which shows that the man had a great understanding of the experience that gamers should recieve from a game. I feel that without people like Douglas or Willy Higginbotham the gaming industry wouldn't have progressed as much as it has today, as they introduced the idea of games and worked hard to develop them, and ultimately i think that because they were passionate about their games they succeeded.

I remember being dedicated to games when i was very young, my first console was the sega mega drive and the first gamei played was Sonic the Hedgehog. I still love Sonic though they don't bring out games like they use to. The Mega Drive is my most memorable Console as there were plenty of classic games i use to play like streets of rage or Golden axe. There have been other consoles to though like the playstation and the N64, but i feel that i got more into gaming when i discovered PC gaming.

I remember one time arguing with a next door neighbour as i was defending consoles, whilst he was promoting pc games. however a few years later i encountered the game Counter strike which changed my gaming lifestyle, because not only could i play games now, but i could collaborate with friends online and kill the enemy (or just kill my friends). i think that it is online experience of gaming that has encouraged me to keep playing games, as i would participate in clans and matches for various different games, though i haven't been in clan of any game for a while now. im happy to add that my most recent game is portal, which is a very addictive but enjoyable game that i purchased which i shall play now i've finished this blog!

No comments: